Treat yourself as you would treat another who is tired, cold, ill, hungry, scared, fatigued.
- Pay attention to what your body is asking for….hunger – feed yourself, tired – take a nap, cold- add more clothes or let yourself have a fire, exhausted – take yourself to bed, scared – wrap yourself tightly in a blanket.
- Don’t listen to your internal negative dialogue about how you’re not good enough, not deserving, others are worse off than you etc.
- Decide you are as entitled as the next person to be cared for…you’re as human as they are.
- Do ask for help, ask someone to care for you for a few hours or a day.
- Don’t short change yourself or your needs.
- Do remember your aid work and care work is more potent when you are well and rested.
- You can be strong and be vulnerable…the two can go together.
- Remember those pre flight instructions….take your O2 before rescuing your child.
- Yes, I mean you!